Taking in an exchange student

For some months now I have been thinking of taking in an exchange student. I own a 3 bedroom townhouse so have the extra room.

The agency I have been in contact with has strict rules for their students and they do not have any students younger than 21. The students are not allowed to smoke (unless the family they stay with smokes), drink or have friends over unless they ask 24 hours ahead of time to have a friend over. The majority of these students are here to study ESL.

It would mean an extra $700 cash toward my debt each month but I have never had a roommate and really like my own space and am not certain how well I would adjust. One thing that is a drawback for me is that I do not have two full bathrooms (I have 1.5 baths) and, ideally, I would like each of us to have our own bathroom.

If anyone has experience with taking in exchange students, I would appreciate hearing about your experiences.

0 comments: