Extra Pay Periods

Given the way the pay periods fall this month and next, there is an extra pay period. So, today it felt really good to put an extra $1,200 onto the LOC.

I used the debt calculator on GVO's website and depending on how prime fluctuates (I am locked in at prime), I will be able to have that LOC paid off in 24 months by making monthly payments of $850. Actually, it could probably be paid off a bit sooner as 2009 is a year with 27 pay periods. This is an anomaly that happens every 11 years and there will be three months (rather than two) this coming year where I will get three pay cheques, January being the first. That is, if I remain at this job where I am on this pay schedule (*still* waiting to hear from the NHL team).

I was making payments of $1,200 but feel good with the $850 figure as it won't leave me strapped for cash due to the pay cut I have now taken and the debt will still be gone in no more than 24 months.

3 comments:

Kristine December 20, 2008 at 4:12 p.m.  

This is excellent.

I get paid once a month on the 28th, so I have to be extremely careful with my budget.

Northern Living Allowance December 20, 2008 at 9:03 p.m.  

I love those extra pay periods! It's so nice to be able to put a little extra on those nagging debts.

Good luck with your new payment plan! 24 months is practically no time at all :)

FB @ FabulouslyBroke.com December 23, 2008 at 4:36 p.m.  

Extra pay periods rock and it's better to be safe than sorry. You can always put the extra into debt at the end of the month