Hosting Christmas Eve Dinner

I was thinking of having Xmas dinner at my house on the 25th but am now thinking of having it on the 24th instead as my cousin wants to have a big family gathering at her house on the 25th. I need to find out what hours my new employer is open on the 24th before I commit to anything. If I do host a Christmas Eve dinner I don't think I will do the traditional feast as we'll all be having that the following day. I am thinking of doing lasagna with salad, garlic toast, etc.

I'd love to hear suggestions for non-traditional fare that would make a good Xmas Eve dinner.

ETA - Now I am considering doing appetizers rather than a full meal. Hmm...

3 comments:

Canadian Saver November 21, 2008 at 7:59 a.m.  

I actually think non-traditional is more fun for informal gatherings :-)

Around the holidays we always have a fondue meal. Yum. Doesn't take a lot of preparation, just chopping.

Appetizers, dips, punch, would be great too!

Tammy November 21, 2008 at 9:25 a.m.  

Thanks! A yesterday a co-worker told me that it is their tradition to do fondue for Xmas rather than the turkey meal and it really sounded great.

Problem is I only have one small fondue pot for chocolate and cannot go out and buy 3 or so electric fondue pots for oil fondue as I am not allowed to spend unnecessarily and for 14 or so ppl, I would need at least 3 pots.

Also, if I did buy them, I have no where to store them when not in use as my kitchen cabinets are plum full.

Canadian Saver November 21, 2008 at 3:45 p.m.  

You could always ask to borrow a few? We've had people come by and bring their fondue pot with them :-)